Yes, I am the parent who gets really excited about decorating for birthday parties, homemade Halloween costumes, and cutesy Pinterest valentines. Guilty as charged. It must be the graphic artist in me, but I just can’t get enough of this stuff! My daughter is now almost four years old and it is ALL about coloring and drawing in our house. I am not going to lie, I could not be happier with her new found interest. It makes my heart smile to know she loves to draw. Besides her love of all things arts and crafts, she also loves helping me in the kitchen. She has been helping me cook and bake since she was old enough to hold a spatula! I decided to marry her two loves and create some colorable valentines as well as whip up a fun valentine treat that she could easily help me with. We spent the afternoon baking and coloring and she loved it! (and yes, I loved it as well!)
• Download the free printable PDF (link at bottom of post) and print on thicker paper or cardstock.
• Cut out the circles using Fiskars XXXX-Large Circle Lever Punch
• Punch out the heart using Fiskars Thick Materials Small Heart Punch
• Color/decorate and tie onto the cellophane treat bag with string or ribbon
VALENTINE’S DAY RICE KRISPIES TREATS:
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup Rice Krispie cereal
2/3 cup dried cranberries
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
A handful of chocolate covered sunflower seeds (or mini chocolate chips)
• Grease a 9×13 pan and set aside.
• In a large bowl mix oats, cereal and dried cranberries.
• In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, honey and brown sugar – stir to combine.
When mixture begins to bubble, add vanilla. Reduce heat to low, allowing to cook for another 1-2 minutes.
• Pour hot liquid mixture over dry ingredients and stir well until ingredients are coated well.
• Transfer to greased pan, spread out evenly, and press down firmly.
• Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and press down into mixture.
• Chill in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes before cutting into bars.
• Put in clear cellophane bag (bought at any craft store) and tie on the cute tags after them have been decorated!