SSM Health Dean Medical Group is proud to offer Midwifery care for women. Our certified nurse midwives see women for visits at the Dean Medical Group Fish Hatchery location and care for women during labor and birth in the birth suites at SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital in Madison.
What are Certified Nurse Midwives?
Certified Nurse Midwives (CNMs) are women’s health providers with advanced education and training in midwifery and advanced practice nursing. The midwifery model of care is a holistic approach which emphasizes women-centered care. This is accomplished through patient education, advocating for each woman’s individual health goals and wishes, and the building of lasting relationships between a woman and her midwives. Certified Nurse Midwives attend to women during labor and birth, and care for women throughout their pregnancy and postpartum period (care for women after the baby’s birth). They also provide routine gynecological care, including annual exams, Pap tests, and family planning. Our CNMs assess, counsel, diagnose, prescribe and manage many of the primary care needs of women from the early teen years, throughout a woman’s childbearing years and into menopause.
- Personalized care tailored to a woman’s health goals and needs
- Care for women during pregnancy, labor, and birth
- Emotional and physical support during labor and birth
- Care in a homelike environment at SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital – Madison
- Individualized guidance and education regarding care of yourself and your baby
- Breastfeeding support and lactation counseling
- Women’s health and gynecological care
- Family planning
Our Midwives do not:
- Attend home births
- Manage pregnancy with multiples (twins, triplets, etc.)
- SSM St. Mary’s Hospital does not offer water birth at this time
Pregnancies with higher risk may benefit from consultation or care from an Obstetrician or a Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor (high-risk physician).
Please call (608) 294-6246 to schedule an appointment!