Happy Holidays, Book Lovers!
I am a mom and a huge book lover. When I wake up in the morning, I often find my 5-year-old son in his room reading and that melts my heart. Nearly 3 ½ years ago, I started working as an Independent Consultant for Usborne Books & More. Why? I wanted to have great books for my son, AND I wanted to share them with others. Usborne’s specialty is publishing non-fiction books (and some fiction too) that kids want to read over and over and over again. Additionally, Usborne also publishes high-quality activities for kids. Usborne books span childhood. They are not just for preschoolers and babies!
I want to share some of the favorites at our home, top Usborne Books for this holiday season, and then tell you about the Usborne Giveaway!
My son’s current top 3 Usborne Books
- Look Inside Space (and Look Inside Your Body, Look Inside and Airport, and Look Inside a Castle): I catch him reading one of these four books on a daily basis. (He took Look Inside a Castle with him in the car today.) He reads them independently, but we still read them aloud as well. Look Inside Space has been a favorite since he was 3. Why does he love these? They are flap books and have flaps inside of flaps (inside of flaps). All of the flaps have info on them/under them. Flap books aren’t just for babies and toddlers. Usborne’s Look Inside and See Inside books are NOT for babies and toddlers! They are for preschool and elementary (and even Middle School) kids!
- Big Book of Big Sea Creatures (and 1001 Things to Spot in the Sea): Along with space, my son has been fascinated by sea creatures for a few years.
- Volcanoes: Direct quotation from my son, “I love reading about lava.” (He also doesn’t mind watching videos of lava flowing on YouTube.) Honor your kid’s interest and get them books about topics that interest them. They’ll be more likely to love and read books about topics they like.
Top Usborne Books for the 2014 Holiday Season
- Lift the Flap Picture Atlas: Interactive (FLAPS everywhere) atlas of the world with a large world map for hanging on the wall. Awesome way to learn about the world.
- Secrets of the Rainforest: Just add Flashlight! This book is a shine the light book. (Works like this book: http://vimeo.com/88378239) This has beautiful illustrations and kids love helping you use the flashlight to see the hidden pictures in the ecosystems!
- Animal Hide-and-Seek: This is a beautiful sensory book (touchy feely book with a few flaps, too) for babies and toddlers. It’s classic Usborne. It has a Little Yellow Duck to find on each page.
- Cuddle Bear Book and Plush Animal Set: Cuddle Bear brightens the day by giving hugs to those in need. This is a great gift for toddlers and preschoolers. (Seriously the softest teddy you’ll cuddle!)
- My Farm Animal World or My Wild Animal World: Tiny Books for Tiny Hands. These are two different sets of tiny books in a book case for toddlers. The case also serves as a sorting game as the place for each book in the case has a picture in it. Love, love, love these two items!
- Step-by-Step Drawing and Step-by-Step Drawing People: Can you draw? I cannot, but I can when I use these two books. Each of these books presents the drawing subject in step-by-step form to allow you to actually draw what you want to. Robots? Princesses? Tigers? Trucks? So many things to draw with these books. (Also, I’m actually happy with my results when I draw something using these books.)
- Hey Jack! and Billie B. Brown: These two series are for kids bridging from easy readers to chapter books. Billie and Jack are friends and sometimes appear in each other’s books. The series focuses on typical situations young elementary kids experience. The books give names to emotions and show the characters handling their emotions in a positive manner. With no more than 50 words per page (those words are in a large font) and pictures throughout, these are great for emerging readers who want to read chapter books! They do NOT need to be read in an order.
- Illustrated Grimm’s Fairy Tales: Traditional stories by the Brothers Grimm with beautiful illustrations. Perfect for a elementary school reader!
- Muddle and Match Adventure or Muddle and Match Imagine: Each page of these two books are separated into three (board book) strips. It’s all based on alliteration. Must be seen and you won’t regret these. They are perfect for toddlers who love to help turn pages to beginning readers who will find the alliteration and character combos hilarious!
- Slot-Together Castle: Build your own castle! Large sturdy puzzle pieces, allow you and your child to build your own 3-D castle. Easy to follow step-by-step instructions and a book with information about castles are included. Hopefully my nephew in Wanuakee isn’t reading this blog… I think this is going to be his Christmas present! It is an awesome, interactive and educational gift!
- Contact Laura Conners via Usborne Books & More, Madison, WI, to get suggestions and advice for all of the kids on your list.
Who wants to win a Cuddle Bear books and plush? Usborne Books & More publishes this book as a fundraiser for the Scott Carter Foundation. The Scott Carter Foundation raises money to fund pediatric cancer research. A portion of the purchase price of each book goes to the foundation.Usborne Books